CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Needing an Ark in Memphis

So yesterday we left for our trip. We drove to Springfield, Mo and stayed one night in a hotel. We made a little trip down to Branson to eat at our favorite restaurant, Danna's, and did a little shopping at Banana Republic outlet.

This morning we left for Memphis. It was raining when we left Springfield. There was only a 10% chance of rain in Memphis so we knew that we wouldn't be in the rain too long. We were wrong and so was the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. It rained the whole trip, 5 straight hours of hard rain. Shockingly Adam didn't go insane and he kept us from hydroplaning the whole way here.

We stopped in Hickville Arkansas for lunch at a quant place called Restaurant. It was one of those moments you see on TV or something, when you walk into a place and everyone turns and stares at you. Obviously this was a local only place. They had fried squash on the menu, I told Adam, "Hmm...I've never had fried squash." The waitress looked at me like I was crazy and said in the thickest southern accent, "You've never had fried squash? Where y'all from?" So with that I decided I needed to try fried squash. Which by the way, only in the south do they take something that is totally healthy for you and make it artery-clogging. When another waitress brought out the food she asked me if I eat my fried squash with ranch dressing. I told I had never had it before. Her response, "You've never had fried squash?" I have to say it was pretty good.

Once we got to Memphis, we first went to the Civil Rights Museum. It is the hotel that Martin Luther King was killed and turned into a museum. We walked through the hotel room and saw the balcony where he was killed. After that we checked into our hotel, which is way nice.
We went downtown and ate at the Big Foot Lodge. They have a 4 lb hamburger. We did not order that, it was ginormous. That is more meat our family eats in a month. The table next us, a group of 7, ordered it and shared it.

0 comments: