CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Great Manhattan School System Teaching My Kid Racism

Today it was really nice outside so Xavier and I walk to pick up Damon from school. As we were walking back home, Damon showed me a dime a friend gave him. The friend is a girl named Kamiah who happens to be African American. So being the mother that I am I start to tease Damon about Kamiah liking him.
He says, "She can't like me and I can't like her."
"Why not?"
"Because she is black."
At this point I am shocked, appauled, disappointed, embarassed and wondering why in the world would he say something like that. Just a few weeks ago was Martin Luther King's birthday which we talked about at home and at school. And given the fact we do not come from the most diverse city we are also not complete rednecks.
So I say back to him, "You know we like people for who they are, not what they look like."
He says, "Yes, but white people don't like black people."
"Where did you learn that?"
"School, that is what Martin Luther King said. White people shouldn' like black people."
So luckly we had a couple more blocks to go and HOPEFULLY we clarified that was NOT what Martin Luther King said...thanks Bergman for the top quality education!

0 comments: