Saturday, June 30, 2012

Colorado Vacation

 This past week we were on vacation in Colorado.  My parents rented cabins near Lake George, CO for our Christmas present.  My sister Charla and her family, my brother Charlie and his family, and my parents were all able to make it.  Plus my niece Jordan and a friend of hers.  Unfortunately with work schedules we couldn't get it coordinated for everyone to be able to make it, that's what happens when you have a big family!

The area that we stayed in was beautiful and the cabins were nice too.  Unfortunately some of the activities we wanted to do were in Colorado Springs and since it was on FIRE, most of the tourist stuff was closed.  In fact, the highway to get into Colorado Springs was closed as well so we got a little creative with our vacation plans and saw other attractions that were closer to our cabins. 
 This is what we can see of the fires from Woodland Park.  It was on evacuation notice.

We arrived Saturday night.  Hung out with my sister Charla and her family since they were the only ones there.

Sunday we went to lunch at the pizza place in Lake George, great food, terribly slow service. (We also ate there for supper when everyone came into town, I about lost my mind the second time around.) They did have a cute older couple who played songs and sang.  They were really good and made the time go by faster.

Because the highway was closed we had to find alternate routes for our people.  Right when we were about to be concerned that they were lost in CO they showed up!

Monday we went to the Florissant Fossil Beds and the to a yummy coffee shop for lunch.  They had one of the best pieces of pie I've ever had.  We took naps in the afternoon and then went wading in the river before and after dinner.

Tuesday we were going to go to Royal Gorge but got slightly lost and ended up in Cripple Creek to go on a Gold Mine tour.  Adam needed to do some work so we headed to Woodland Park for some WIFI.  He worked, the boys and I played on our electronics, the little ones slept.  It was perfect.

Wednesday we made it to Royal Gorge.  We had a lot of fun walking around.  We met a cute little squirrel begging for food, the boys loved him.  Aiden wanted to bring him home.  Right when we got on the aerial tram they had to shut it down because the winds were exceeding 50mph.  Walking across the 83 year old bridge with 50mph winds had to be one of the scariest experiences.  I clutched on to Grayson and fearfully watched Xavier pushing the umbrella stroller across praying it wouldn't get caught in the wind and he would be flung off.  But we made it safe.  They ended up opening the tram later so Adam rode it with my dad and Jordan and Sydney.

Thursday we hiked about 4 miles (it felt like 50 with Grayson on my back).  My poor sister got the stomach flu.  We really just rested and hung out.  The boys had a great time running around with their cousins.  They were brown every night from the dirt.

Friday we packed up and decided to head home.  With the highway being closed still it was going to add a couple more hours to our trip and we had family in town for the weekend.  I wished we had one more day to play in the river.  I really wanted to float down it in a tube and it just never happened.  The way home was also quite frightful.  Driving 9 miles on a windy mountain DIRT road was not good for my heart.  We made it home at midnight with a very happy puppy.  Lockett had missed us!

Thanks Dad and Lois for the vacation!  We had a great time.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that half of our group saw a bear.  I'm a little jealous and a little relieved that I missed him!